Lab News for Dr. Wensheng Qin’s
Lab, Lakehead University:
(6) Dr. Shihui Wang: 北京化工大学 (教师)
(5) Dr. Wenju Wan: 泰山医学院 (教师)
(4) Dr. Chaoyang Lin: 浙江大学 (教师)
(3) Dr. Lili Xiong: 西南交通大学 (联合培养博士生)
(2) Dr. Yuanyuan Hong: 中国农业大学 (联合培养博士生)
(1) Dr. Xi Chen: 中国农业大学 (联合培养博士生)
(6) November 25, 2015 Dr. Wensheng Qin was invited to act as Chair for the Biotechnology for Biomass Conversion and Bioproducts Session in the 2016 International Conference on Agricultural and Biological Sciences (ABS 2016), which will be held July 23-26, 2016, Shanghai, China.
For more information, please click http://www.absconf.org/
(5) August 5, 2015: Mrs. Shreeti Pradhan productively finished her visiting research in our laboratory as a joint Ph. D student. She would defend her Ph. D. thesis at Tribhuvan University, Nepal. Congratulations!
(4) July 22-24, 2015: Shafiqur Rahman attended the Advanced Biofuels Symposium 2015 in Montreal, Canada.
(3) July 20, 2015: Mr. Yagya Paudel successfully defended his Master’s thesis. Yagya is accepted to Queen’s University to continue his Ph. D study. Congratulations!
(2) Dr. Wensheng Qin is co-organizing a symposium of “Sustainable Conversion of Lignin to Value-added Products and Green Chemicals?with other four professors for the “International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, December 15-16, 2015? For more information, please click: http://www.pacifichem.org/symposiadesc2015/c_symp_319.htm
(1) Two Brazilian undergraduate students Priscilla Martins de Souza & Heloisa Helena Linhares have successfully finished their placement and research courses in our laboratory. Congratulations! More Brazilian students are welcome to join us!
Congratulations to Qin Lab 2012 Graduate Students:
Haider Hassan defended his Master’s thesis on May 6, 2013. Haider is accepted to Western University’s Biochemistry Program as a Ph. D student, and will commence his studies in September, 2013. Haider received Honours Bachelor of Science (H. B. Sc) in biotechnology from University of Toronto, Bachelor of Education and M. Sc degrees in biology at Lakehead University.
(1) August 16, 2012: Miranda Maki (a Ph. D student supervised by Dr. W. Qin and Dr. K. Leung, and supported by an NSERC Scholarship) successfully defended her Ph. D thesis. Congratulations Dr. Miranda Maki! Dr. Miranda Maki immediately started a postdoctoral position at Lakehead University Canada after her defense.
(2) July 16, 2012: Mehdi Dashtban (a Ph. D student supervised by Dr. W. Qin, and supported by an Ontario Graduate Scholarship) successfully defended his Ph. D thesis. Congratulations Dr. Mehdi Dashtban! Dr. Mehdi Dashtban immediately started a postdoctoral position at Lakehead University after his defense.
(3) May 30, 2012: Yuanyuan Hong (a Ph. D student supervised by Dr. S. Chen and Dr. W. Qin and supported by a Chinese Government Scholarship) successfully defended her Ph. D thesis. Congratulations Dr. Yuanyuan Hong! Yuanyuan Hong came from China Agricultural University and spent two years in the Qin Lab as a visiting Ph. D student from December 2009-December 2011. Dr. Yuanyuan Hong immediately started a Research Scientist position in an international biotechnology company in Beijing China.
(4) May 25, 2012: Bruce Rosa (a Ph. D student
supervised by Dr. W. Qin and Dr. J. Chen and supported by an NSERC
Scholarship), successfully defended his Ph. D thesis. Congratulations Dr. Bruce
Rosa! Dr. Bruce Rosa immediately started a postdoctoral position at Washington
University (USA) after his defense.
(5) Ph. D student Miranda Maki
received the 1st Place Poster Award in the
2012 BioFor Conference Poster Competition ?Ph. D
Category. Miranda Maki, Amna Idrees,
Kam Leung, Wensheng Qin. (2012). Potential lignocellulase genes in bacteria isolated from peat and
municipal waste. BioFor Conference, Thunder Bay,
Canada, May 14-15, 2012. Congratulations Miranda!
(6) Master’s student Alaa Alhazmi received the 2nd Place Poster Award in the 2012 BioFor Conference Poster Competition ?Masters Category. Alaa Alhazmi, Wensheng Qin. (2012). Production of Recombinant T4 Lysozyme (t4l) in Escherichia coli and Trichoderma reesei. BioFor Conference, Thunder Bay, Canada, May 14-15, 2012. Congratulations Alaa!
(7) Lab members Mehdi Dashtban, Miranda Maki, Yuanyuan Hong, Alaa Alhazmi attended the 61th Annual Conference of the Canadian Society of Microbiologists, June 20 - 23, 2011, University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
(8) Two new graduate students joined the lab: Haider Hassan from University of Toronto Canada and Phillip Vanheuangdy from University of Waterloo Canada joined us as Master’s students from May 2011. Welcome!
For more information about Lakehead University and our research, please visit the Lakehead University Website and Our Laboratory Website.
Biotechnology & Bioproduct Laboratory
Department of Biology
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON
P7B 5E1, Canada